logo
Back to news
Next article Previous article

Expat tax break known as 30% ruling in the Netherlands to be shortened

Career in Holland

-

12.31.2018

Expat employees who satisfy certain conditions need not pay tax on up to 30% of their salary. As of 1 January 2019 qualifying workers may use this 30% facility for only 5 years. A transitional arrangement will apply in 2019 and 2020.


Allowance for additional costs

The 30% facility is available to employees who are recruited from outside the Netherlands to work here temporarily. If they satisfy conditions for the 30% facility, they are exempt from paying tax on up to 30% of their salary. This government measure helps them cover the additional costs they incur from working in the Netherlands, such as travel expenses, additional housing costs and day-to-day expenses.


Shorter duration

The government has shortened the duration of the 30% facility from 8 to 5 years. Employees who arrive in the Netherlands in or after 2019 will be able to apply the tax break for up to 5 years.


Transitional arrangement

A transitional arrangement will apply to employees who were using the 30% facility prior to 2019. The changes will not apply to them until 1 January 2021.


Reasons for the shorter duration

In 2017 the Ministry of Finance had the 30% facility evaluated by an independent consultancy. The conclusions of the evaluation were as follows:

  • About 80% of expat employees use the facility for 5 years or less. Many of the remaining 20% are not in the Netherlands temporarily but stay for a longer period.
  • In other countries with a comparable facility, the tax break is often available for 5 years.
  • The additional costs that the 30% facility is intended to cover decline over time.
  • A shorter 30% facility is less expensive but is almost as effective

Source: Government.nl

143 vues Visits

Like

Comments0

Please log in to see or add a comment

Suggested Articles

Career in Holland

Looking for Holland Career Ambassadors!

User profile picture

Ju Lin Van Veldhuizen

August 05

Career in Holland

The end of one adventure means the beginning of another: from graduation to a career in Holland

User profile picture

Jacqueline van Lier

July 04

1

Career in Holland

Alumni Instagram takeover: meet Maria Lucia Bermudez

User profile picture

Jacqueline van Lier

June 20