Back to news
Next article Previous article

International students may now work more hours

About Holland



International students from outside Europe are now allowed to work 16 hours per week in addition to their studies. The previous standard was 10 hours per week. The possibilities for taking part in an internship after graduation have been expanded as well.                

These changes are the result of the new EU Directive 2016/801, which is intended to facilitate the intra-EU mobility of international students and researchers. This EU Directive was implemented in the Netherlands via new Dutch legislation as of 23 May 2018.

TWV still required

International students with a non-EU nationality may work while studying provided certain conditions are met. In contrast to students from EU countries, these international students must obtain a special work permit (TWV, a work permit for persons from outside the EEA) as they are not entitled to free access to the Dutch labour market.

These regulations are set out in the Foreign Nationals (Employment) Act (Wet arbeid vreemdelingen, Wav). From now on, non-EU students will be permitted to work 16 hours per week during the academic year. The other option, to work full-time during the months of June, July and August, has not been affected. Compensation for hours remains prohibited. A TWV is also still required, which the employer will need to request from the UWV (Employee Insurance Agency).

Transitional arrangement

A transitional arrangement is in effect for students who applied for a TWV before 23 May. If the work permit was still valid at the time the legislative amendment came into force, these students have the right to work 16 hours per week. UWV will inform employers of the changes.

Expanded internship opportunities

For non-EU students who are studying abroad and wish to pursue an internship in the Netherlands, it was already possible to request a TWV or combined residence and work permit (GVVA). This arrangement has been expanded as of 23 May. This means that non-EU students with a diploma from a research university or university of applied sciences may take part in an internship of up to one year with a Dutch employer for the purpose of gaining work experience.

This is, however, on the condition that they apply for the permit within 2 years of graduating. An internship agreement, including a description of the internship programme setting out the learning components of the internship, must also be submitted. The internship must be relevant to the student's completed degree programme.

More information (in Dutch) can be found in the Dutch Government Gazette, the Staatscourant.

source: Nuffic

2077 views Visits



Please log in to see or add a comment

Suggested Articles

About Holland

How to survive a Dutch summer

profile photo of a member

Milou Bowman

August 05

About Holland

Five things the Netherlands does best

profile photo of a member

Milou Bowman

July 29

About Holland

East Netherlands' regions join forces in the field of AI

profile photo of a member

Milou Bowman

July 27