Once you receive a Dutch diploma, Nuffic can provide a description of its approximate value. The description gives general information about your study programme and an explanation of the Dutch education system.

Diploma recognition

Nuffic is the appointed ENIC-NARIC centre (European Network of Information Centres - National Academic Recognition Information Centres) in the Netherlands and has a number of in-house experts who are specialised in the education systems of various countries.

If you move to another country, a diploma description can be helpful in explaining which study programme you have followed in the Netherlands and the value of the diploma you were awarded. It provides your prospective employer, or a government agency or education institution insight into your qualifications and may improve your chances of finding work or gaining access to studies.

What is a diploma description?

A diploma description is not a literal translation of the diploma. A diploma description states the name of the diploma holder as well as the most important information about the study programme and the diploma awarded. It also describes the structure of the Dutch education system and indicates to which diploma in the host country your Dutch diploma can be compared.

Diploma descriptions are available in English or, upon request, in Spanish. To learn more about the application procedure, please visit the Nuffic website for more information. 

AC Declaration

If you are moving to an EU member state with the intention of practising a regulated profession in that country, an AC declaration may be helpful. The declaration states that the profession is regulated in the Netherlands and/or in the EU member state in question, and specifies the applicable EU regulations. The AC declaration is available for most professions with the exception of teaching and healthcare professions, and can be requested free of charge.

For further information, see: Professional recognition.

Please note that both the diploma description and AC declaration have an advisory status and are not legally binding. As such, they do not give the holder any rights in the host country.

European Professional Card (EPC)

If you are moving to an EU member state with the intention of practising a regulated profession in that country, you can use your Dutch qualification to apply for an European Professional Card (EPC). The EPC is available for the following professions only:

  • nurse responsible for general care
  • pharmacist
  • physiotherapist
  • mountain guide
  • real estate agent

For more information about the application procedure and fees, please visit the Your Europe website.