Refresher courses are tailor-made training courses initiated by a Dutch institution or by NFP, MSP, NICHE/NPT alumni. The courses contribute to the institutional development of the alumni's employing organisations and prolong the impact of the original training.
Refresher courses should meet the following criteria:
- The course is offered either by the original Dutch provider or by a different Dutch provider qualified in the relevant field of expertise;
- The course must be in the same field of expertise as the original training course;
- The duration of a course is approximately two weeks;
- The maximum number of NFP-funded participants is 20;
- The prescribed minimum female participation is at least 50%;
- The course takes place in one of the countries on the NFP, MSP or NICHE country lists valid at the time of application.
Who is eligible?
Participants of refresher courses must:
- be professionals with at least three years’ work experience;
- be nationals of, and working and living in one of the countries on the NFP, MSP or NICHE country lists valid at the time of application;
- be an alumni, having completed a NFP, MSP or NICHE/NPT-funded training or education course at least two years prior to the planned starting date of the refresher course;
not be employed by:
- a multinational corporation (e.g. Shell, Unilever, Microsoft);
- a large national and/or large commercial organisation;
- a bilateral donor organisation (e.g. USAID, DFID, Danida, Sida, Dutch ministry of Foreign affairs, FinAid, AusAid, ADC, SwissAid);
- a multilateral donor organisation, (e.g. a UN organisation, the World Bank, the IMF, Asian Development Bank, African Development Bank, Inter-American Development Bank);
- an international NGO (e.g. Oxfam, Plan, Care);
- be employed in an area to which the refresher course will make a relevant contribution;
- have a clear-cut, functional relationship with a relevant organisation and be in a position to introduce the newly acquired skills and knowledge into that organisation;
- be available for the entire period of the course and be physically and mentally able to complete the course;
- not have accepted a fellowship for an NFP refresher course in the year prior to the fellowship application;
- endorse the objective and the aim of the NFP and use the new knowledge and skills to support their employing organisation and country.
To a limited extent, colleagues of participating alumni may be allowed to attend the course. They should be direct colleagues who work in the same organisation or organisational unit as the NFP, MSP or NICHE/NPT alumnus. Also, one or two staff members of the counterpart of the Dutch institution, involved in the design and execution of the refresher course may be allowed to attend the refresher course.
How to apply
Applications for a grant can be submitted by a Netherlands Alumni Association (NAA), an NFP, MSP or NICHE/NPT alumnus, his or her employing organisation or a Dutch provider. There is one deadline per year.
Applications for a grant for refresher courses to be conducted in 2015 should be submitted directly to Nuffic before 1 February 2015.
Nuffic rejects applications that are incorrect, incomplete or do not meet the above eligibility criteria.
The application form will become available soon.
Nuffic will assess the submitted applications against the eligibility criteria and rank them based on content, value and outputs. Nuffic gives preference to courses that:
- are jointly implemented by a Dutch provider and a local or regional institution or organisation;
- guarantee that at least half of the participants will be female;
- have a clearly demonstrated gender component;
- take place in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Nuffic selects the courses based on the ranking of eligible applications. The budget for refresher courses is limited so some eligible applications may have to be turned down.
Nuffic informs all applicants about the outcome of the selection procedure and awards the grants to the Dutch institutions.